I knew that C.S. Lewis and I had more in common than our Christianity when he said, "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me." Welcome to a celebration of faith, tea, and the written word. I'm always engaged in a book, and whether it's one I'm reading or one of the inspirational historical romances I write, there's always a cup of tea close by. Join me in a cup as we chat about faith, our favorite books and the exciting places our reading and writing adventures take us.

Monday, August 1, 2016

August Frenzy! I Need Chamomile!


Chamomile tea may conjure images of cold weather, being tucked under a blanket before you go to sleep, but the first week of August is the perfect time for me to brew a cup.

I have a deadline looming, summer's almost over and it feels like it hasn't really started yet, and my firstborn is heading off to college in a few weeks. Yep, that last one is the real kicker. I'm the emotional equivalent of a pinball.

So here's what I'm going to do: brew a cup of chamomile. It's a good tea to drink when your body is under some stress. There are others, too, but chamomile is easily accessible and popular.
Chamomile, Chamomile Blossoms, Medicinal Herb
Chamomile blossoms are pretty, too!
Chamomile relaxes muscles, including the smooth muscles in our intestines. It also helps release digestive enzymes, so your body has less work to do. Another benefit? It calms the nerves.

You can make your own tea using dried chamomile, or purchase from just about any retailer that sells tea. Here's my favorite, which contains lavender for extra relaxation and it smells wonderful.

Chamomile can be (dare I say?) boring. Go ahead and add a little of your favorite sweetener, like stevia, if you desire. Or just bust out the calories and dunk a cookie in it. (Did I mention I'm stressed out?)

Take a load off, and spend a few minutes with a soothing cup, no matter the weather.


No comments: