I knew that C.S. Lewis and I had more in common than our Christianity when he said, "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me." Welcome to a celebration of faith, tea, and the written word. I'm always engaged in a book, and whether it's one I'm reading or one of the inspirational historical romances I write, there's always a cup of tea close by. Join me in a cup as we chat about faith, our favorite books and the exciting places our reading and writing adventures take us.

Sunday, June 26, 2016

Writing Fix: Time to Freak Out?


I'm working hard on a story right now, and it dawned on me today that I need to make a big change to it.

Not a major change, but enough of an alteration that I have some work to do. I need to move a few scenes around and remove a secondary conflict/character.

It's enough to make a writer freak out.

But it shouldn't. This is part of the whole process. We write, and sometimes stories redirect themselves.

Sometimes we made errors in the planning stages and didn't see them until halfway through the book.

Sometimes our characters are different than who we thought they'd be. They're more interesting, more complex.

Sometimes we add too much and it gets messy and demands to be streamlined.

These are all good things. They should be celebrated. Yes, the fixes take time and work, but the story will be stronger for them.

Time to reroute.

I believe my fixes will only take a few days to handle, but I'm not going to work on them now. I'm going to mark them, keep writing past them, and come back later when I have an even stronger handle on the story.

While I wish I'd hit the mark perfectly at the first attempt, I'm glad I figured this out now!

1 comment:

Karen Lange said...

It is great to see things like this in the process, isn't it? I can relate, somehow it's challenging and fun, but not always at the same time. :) Wishing you well with this project!