I knew that C.S. Lewis and I had more in common than our Christianity when he said, "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me." Welcome to a celebration of faith, tea, and the written word. I'm always engaged in a book, and whether it's one I'm reading or one of the inspirational historical romances I write, there's always a cup of tea close by. Join me in a cup as we chat about faith, our favorite books and the exciting places our reading and writing adventures take us.

Monday, January 25, 2016

Welcome Lisa Karon Richardson


Welcome Lisa Karon Richardson to Tea and a Good Book today!

An image posted by the author.
A recently unearthed "letter to the editor" sheds light on her new release, The Peacock Throne.

***

Editor
Caclutta Gazette

3 November 1802

Dear Sir,

At your request I interviewed those persons commonly believed to be connected to the return of the great Peacock Throne.

I began with Miss Lydia Garrett, believing that a young lady possessed of grace and charm would find it delightful to be mentioned positively in newsprint. She accused me of working for the French and then told me an outlandish tale that began with two murders in London and devolved into a hunt for what amounts to pirate treasure. To hear her tell it, with a bit of cunning and luck a single English frigate can best a French ship of the line. Even more incredible, she believes French agents infiltrated Calcutta and kidnapped friends of the Lieutenant-Governor in an attempt to extort the throne from him. Either she is a bit mad, or as I suspect, she was making sport of me. I was unable to obtain a single publishable fact from her.

I next approached Mr. Marcus Harting. As you know, he is of good family, being the youngest son of the Marquess of Wiltshire. Looking back on the conversation, I’m not quite certain where it veered away from the topic, but although I spoke to him for nearly an hour, by the time it was done I had the most dreadful headache and I’m fairly certain I was the only one who ever even mentioned the Peacock Throne or how Mr. Harting came to Calcutta.

Finally, I called upon Anthony __, the Earl of Danbury. He socked me in the nose and threatened to shoot me if I came about again. As preposterous as it sounds, I think he actually meant it.
All in all, it was a most trying day. You described this as an easy assignment which an infant could perform. This was not my experience I have come to the conclusion that I am not at all cut out to be a reporter, I must therefore resign effective immediately.

Yours, etc.
Gavin Greenleigh

***


The Peacock Throne releases Jan 27. 
Here's a peek:

When Miss Lydia Garrett's guardian is murdered, and the authorities refuse to investigate the odd circumstances, she vows to catch the culprit. The same night the Earl of Danbury is murdered in his bed. Against all odds it appears that the murders are related - and Anthony Douglas, the new Lord Danbury, is bent on revenge. 

The clues point to the former Earl's first naval command. In 1758 the Earl spirited away and hid the magnificent Peacock Throne at the behest of the Indian royal family. To draw out the murderer, Anthony and Lydia agree that they must locate the throne. However, they are not the only ones interested in the Peacock Throne. 

Marcus Wiltshire, agent of His Majesty's intelligence services, has received hints that Bonaparte intends to return the throne to India and leverage its mystical significance to foment rebellion and cut England off from her most important trading partner. When the amateur sleuths join forces with the professional agent, the quest for the throne leads them around the globe on an adventure steeped in danger, treachery, and romance.

Fun fact: Although she's multi-published, this is the first book Lisa wrote. 

Check these out!


a Rafflecopter giveaway

17 comments:

Debra E. Marvin said...

Well done! What a lovely reminder of a great story. It was a splendid chase from the first scene. Lots of trials and ...who to trust?
I really enjoyed Lisa's story (and yes, i'll be putting up a review on Amazon and Goodreads this week).

Thanks for hosting, Susie!

Susanne Dietze said...

Deb, what a lovely avatar! :D

Lisa is a gifted storyteller, isn't she? I'm so excited for this release!

Thanks so much for coming by today. Looking forward to your reviews!

Jennifer AlLee said...

Love the Letter to the Editor! What a find :) And what a great novel is The Peacock Throne! Congrats, Lisa :)

DeAnna Julie Dodson said...

Such a great book! Excited to see it finally in print.

You go, girl! :D

Lisa Karon Richardson said...

Thanks for hosting me Susie, and thanks for stopping by to see me everyone. I love the Inkies!! I can only imagine what those characters put that poor editor through. To make him give up on an entire career option it must have been something else.

Susanne Dietze said...

Hi Jen and DeAnna! So glad you could come by and help celebrate The Peacock Throne!

Amy C said...

Hi Lisa! Your new book sounds like a great read. How long have you been writing?

Anita Mae Draper said...

I absolutely love this cover! I remember you talking about this book way back at ACFW one year. Well done, and praying for blessings on your writing career.

Lisa Karon Richardson said...

Hi Amy,
I've been writing seriously for 9 or 10 years now. The Peacock Throne was actually the first novel I wrote. But it just wasn't time for it to be published yet. I ended up with 7 books published before this one.

Karen Lange said...

Susie, thanks for spotlighting Lisa! I think I may have to check this book out. :) It looks like a great read. Have a great week!

Susanne Dietze said...

Amy C- I love your avatar! Thanks for popping by to say hi!

Karen - I think you'll truly enjoy the Peacock Throne. It is indeed a great read!

Blessings!

Caryl Kane said...

Lisa, Congratulations on your release of The Peacock Throne! What is the most interesting piece of information you discovered during your research?

Susanne Dietze said...

Hi Caryl! What a good question! Lisa is an excellent researcher.

Thanks for coming by!

Lisa Karon Richardson said...

Hey Caryl, there were a lot of truly fascinating bits of history that I uncovered when researching for the story. One of the ones that really fueled my plot was the fact that Napoleon did actually try to provoke an uprising in India in order to divide English forces. He ended up getting bogged down in Egypt. But it made sense to me that he would still think that such an undertaking had merit. Especially if it didn't require a huge commitment of finances, troops, or men.

Susanne Dietze said...

Congratulations, Amy C! And thanks to all who came by and entered.

Thanks to Lisa, too!

Medieval Girl said...

Well done Lisa. Its interesting to see that your book has been snapped up by the UK based Publisher Lion Fiction, who publish some great books and I've done some reviews for.

I know they publish the American Author Mel Starr's books, but its good to see them giving international writers a chance.

They just recently joined Overdrive, so I recommended the book for my library's Ebook collection, and they purchased it last week.
Got it on my wishlist, and you never know- when I read it I might have to go out and buy the paperback......:)

Lisa Karon Richardson said...

Hey Medieval Girl! Thanks so much for putting it forward with your library! That's awesome. Of course, I hope you enjoy the story. I really enjoyed working with Lion Fiction, and I was surprised at how open they are to different sorts of stories as compared to the US pubs I'm familiar with. The editing process was certainly more rigorous than I've dealt with before as well, but that's a story for another day! :)