I knew that C.S. Lewis and I had more in common than our Christianity when he said, "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me." Welcome to a celebration of faith, tea, and the written word. I'm always engaged in a book, and whether it's one I'm reading or one of the inspirational historical romances I write, there's always a cup of tea close by. Join me in a cup as we chat about faith, our favorite books and the exciting places our reading and writing adventures take us.

Monday, November 30, 2015

I Whisk You a Merry Christmas...Christmas Cookbooks!

It's time to start thinking about Christmas food! Party food, edible gifts, holiday meals, and quick meals (for busy nights) alike...I need help with all of them in December.

Do you own any cookbooks that are particular to Christmas? I love mine--and I'm always open to having more. Below are a few of my favorites and some that look fun to me. Share yours with me!

Susan Branch is one of my all-time favorites--in anything. Cookbooks. Calendars. Happy things. I once tagged her on twitter and she actually responded...She is such a sweet person, and so talented, too. I bought a copy of her Christmas from the Heart of the Home almost 20 years ago at an after-Christmas sale. Pretty enough to leave out as a coffee table type book (well, not my copy, since mine is literally tattered and stained), it contains some delicious recipes. Candied Bacon is a Christmas morning staple around here.
Click here
Branch's Christmas Joy is a small gift book that contains the cookie section from the above book, as well as other sweet things. It's a perfect gift. (Oh, and the cookies? I like making the Florentines.)
Click here
Another sweet book that looks great sitting on the coffee table during December is The Twelve Teas of Christmas, but it's probably only available used. Nevertheless, it contains lot of good ideas for cozy gatherings and yummy recipes inside.

Click here
The Southern Living Ultimate Christmas Cookbook is just what it says: Ultimate, full of lovely photos and fun recipes. Southern Living offers cookbooks annually, I think--this was a gift a few years' back--and newer editions are more readily available than this one pictured. But this is the one I have, and I love it.
Click here
I do not own the Good Housekeeping Christmas Cookbook, but as a subscriber to the magazine, I've glimpsed some of the recipes and it's on my List. If you're looking for a good, all-around holiday cookbook, check into this one.
Click here

Since we're talking wish lists, did you know some authors have written cookbooks? Oh goodness, the Debbie Macomber fan in my life might like this (looking at you, Mom).
Click here
Macomber's not the only author with a holiday cookbook. Beloved author of Amish novels, Wanda E. Brunsetter, has one, too.
Click here
As for me, I'm curious about Christmas at Downton. It's unofficial, so don't expect photos of the cast or Highclere Castle. But I'm interested in what the book says about Edwardian Christmases and what the recipes are like.
Click here
What about you? Do you have a favorite Christmas cookbook?

No comments: