I knew that C.S. Lewis and I had more in common than our Christianity when he said, "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me." Welcome to a celebration of faith, tea, and the written word. I'm always engaged in a book, and whether it's one I'm reading or one of the inspirational historical romances I write, there's always a cup of tea close by. Join me in a cup as we chat about faith, our favorite books and the exciting places our reading and writing adventures take us.

Monday, June 22, 2015

Summer Garden to Summer Table!



What's growing in your garden this year?

I've been enjoying my summer tomatoes for a few weeks now. Paired with fresh basil, they've made for some delicious bruschetta.

I'm also making Tomato Salad Dressing, which is wonderful on salads as well as on pasta or crostini toasts with some soft goat cheese. It won't last in the fridge long, but it's so tasty you might just use it all up first.

Oh, and the first ingredient is sun. Or at least dry weather. Don't make this on a rainy day! It needs to sit out in the summer sun so the flavors can blend.

Tomato Salad Dressing

8 good-sized ripe tomatoes or 4-6 beefsteak tomatoes--vine-ripened from your backyard is best!
1 c. olive oil
1/4 c. balsamic vinegar
2-3 T. fresh basil, sliced thin
1 t. sugar
1-2 cloves garlic, chopped
green onion to taste, finely chopped
salt and pepper to taste
(other herbs you might want to add? A little parsley and/or oregano...but let basil be the strongest!)

  1. On a warm, sunny day, peel the tomatoes (score an x on the bottom and then dunk them in a pot of boiling water for a few seconds: the peels come right off.).
  2. Chop tomatoes and add them and their juice to a glass bowl (I use an 8-cup Pyrex bowl, but it isn't full--it's just a good size for me.).
  3. Add other ingredients.
  4. Cover tightyly with saran wrap and place outside in a safe place in full sun for 3-5 hours.
  5. That's it! Serve at room temperature but store in the fridge.

2 comments:

Karen Lange said...

This sounds wonderful. I have to try it! I am always looking for new things to do with all my excess tomatoes from the garden. :) Thanks a bunch for the recipe. Have a great weekend!

Susanne Dietze said...

Hi Karen! I hope you enjoy it. It's as fun to make as it is to eat! Hope you're having a great week.