I knew that C.S. Lewis and I had more in common than our Christianity when he said, "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me." Welcome to a celebration of faith, tea, and the written word. I'm always engaged in a book, and whether it's one I'm reading or one of the inspirational historical romances I write, there's always a cup of tea close by. Join me in a cup as we chat about faith, our favorite books and the exciting places our reading and writing adventures take us.

Monday, March 23, 2015

Dauntless~A Fun, Fresh YA Romance

22504499

I'm a fan of Dina Sleiman's previous novels, so I was excited to read Dauntless, the first in the Valiant Hearts series.

While the book is YA, that doesn't mean it isn't rich in plot or theme; it was fully enjoyable to me as an adult reader. Sleiman does a great job with the medieval setting, quick-moving plot, compelling and imperfect female and male characters, a sweet romance, and a strong faith element.

Merry Ellison is a brave, smart heroine that serves as a fine role model to younger readers. A bit of a female Robin Hood, she engages in plenty of swashbuckling action while she contends with her faith, the ethical dilemma of stealing from the rich to help the poor, and the pain of her past.

I recommend this book to any fan of inspirational historical novels, adult and teen.

Thanks to Bethany House for providing a novel in exchange for my honest review. A positive review was neither promised nor expected.

2 comments:

The Artist Librarian said...

Great review, Susanne! I'm super excited with how much the Christian YA market has grown ... When I was a teen, it felt like the majority of Christian YA was contemporary --and mostly school-related, which made some of it un-relatable to someone with a non-traditional educational experience. =)

Susanne Dietze said...

I'm so glad you could come by! I'm excited by the growing options in Christian YA, too. Very encouraging! As a reader of YA and a mom, I love that there are so many options available for young people in the Christian book store.

Thanks for stopping by!