I knew that C.S. Lewis and I had more in common than our Christianity when he said, "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me." Welcome to a celebration of faith, tea, and the written word. I'm always engaged in a book, and whether it's one I'm reading or one of the inspirational historical romances I write, there's always a cup of tea close by. Join me in a cup as we chat about faith, our favorite books and the exciting places our reading and writing adventures take us.

Thursday, February 5, 2015

Oh My Goodness, I Wrote That?

This week I received the galley edits for my first publication, novella Love's Reward in The Most Eligible Bachelor Collection. The galley is a pdf file of the book as it will appear in print, and these edits are the last chance I have to look for any little typos, tweaks, etc before the book is published.

Exciting times. Seeing the story like this, like a REAL BOOK, is enough to make me cry. It's gorgeous. It's real. It's big time.

And it's also a bit daunting. Because ugh, did I really write that awkward sentence? And oh dear, can I rewrite the whole thing?

The answer to that last question, by the way, is NO. This is the time to find missing apostrophes, not to rewrite anything.

Oh man. All the What If questions are flooding in. What If my story is as bad as I suddenly think it is? I am the worst writer ever. I shouldn't even be allowed to write checks. Blah blah blah.

Time to get a grip, Self. If one of my friends came to me with these sorts of jitter-induced blatherings, I'd tell her this:
  • This story was critiqued by capable people.
  • This story was edited by professional people.
  • You need to take a deep breath, honey. You've got a good case of Pre-Publication Panic.
The bottom line is, no book outside the Bible is perfect. (Well, Pride & Prejudice is pretty close, but you know what I mean.) I have made mistakes in this story, and I will make mistakes again in every story I ever write. That isn't the point. The point is, God saw fit to allow this story to go out into the world.

Which reminds me of what I wanted in the first place:

To write the stories God put on my heart, with the hope that someone out there is blessed, comforted, or encouraged by it. Just one person.

Because I've been that person before whose heart was blessed, comforted, encouraged, and, yep, even changed by a romance novel.

So there you have it. My imperfect offering.

I should note that I received the galley of the entire book and oh my goodness,you all are in for a treat, should you decide to pick up this book. The eight other stories in the collection look fantastic. I haven't read them all because I've been spending time with Daniel and Josie, my characters, but I've peeked at them. And WOW!

**

Do you have an offering you're hesitant to give because it's not perfect?

No comments: