I knew that C.S. Lewis and I had more in common than our Christianity when he said, "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me." Welcome to a celebration of faith, tea, and the written word. I'm always engaged in a book, and whether it's one I'm reading or one of the inspirational historical romances I write, there's always a cup of tea close by. Join me in a cup as we chat about faith, our favorite books and the exciting places our reading and writing adventures take us.

Monday, October 13, 2014

Ten Things with Author Laurie Alice Eakes!

Image of Laurie Alice Eakes

Welcome, Laurie Alice!

“Eakes has a charming way of making her novels come to life without being over the top,” writes Romantic times of bestselling, award-winning author Laurie Alice Eakes. Since she lay in bed as a child telling herself stories, she has fulfilled her dream of becoming a published author, with a degree in English and French from Asbury University and a master’s degree in writing fiction from Seton Hill University contributing to her career path. Now she has nearly two dozen books in print.

After enough moves in the past five years to make U-Haul’s stock rise, she now lives in Houston, Texas, where she and her husband are newly minted church leaders. Although they haven’t been blessed with children—yet--they have sundry lovable dogs and cats. If the carpet is relatively free of animal fur, then she is either frustrated with the current manuscript, or brainstorming another, the only two times she genuinely enjoys housekeeping.

Here are Laurie Alice's Ten Things:
  1. Once upon a time, I was a missionary. Other than a short stint in France, I worked at the US headquarters of Operation Mobilization. Mostly, I did things like type letters from the director to missionaries all over the world. I’m an appalling typist.
  2. I once flew across the Atlantic in a plane so small we had to refuel in Iceland.
  3. My favorite color is purple.
  4. I used to live on the top of a mountain, where odd things occurred in the fenced land a few hundred yards away—like planes flying low and then just disappearing, helicopters used to circle around, and sometimes I heard automatic gunfire. I was also stranded up there once alone, with no electricity and no phone service or cell reception during an ice storm. And people wonder why I write suspense?
  5. My favorite fruit is raspberries.
  6. My favorite time period is the eighteenth century.
  7. I have sailed on a tall ship and climbed the rigging.
  8. I love hyacinths.
  9. My favorite state is Virginia.
  10. Coffee is my favorite beverage.

Click here to purchase on Amazon!
Check out Laurie Alice's latest release, Moonlight Promise!

Camilla Renfrew is a highborn English lady fleeing false accusations when she runs smack into love on a steamboat bound for the new Erie Canal. But can this unexpected attraction survive the treacherous journey?

***

Thanks for sharing with us today, Laurie Alice!

11 comments:

Karen Lange said...

It's nice to get to know Laurie a little better! Thanks for sharing this, Susie! :) I've only read one of Laurie's books so far, but plan on reading more. Wishing her all the best with her writing!

Susanne Dietze said...

Hi Karen! I learned things about Laurie Alice, too. I'm still curious about the gun fire on the mountain!

Thanks for coming by.

Jennifer AlLee said...

Good morning, ladies! It's fun to learn new stuff about Laurie Alice. Many blessings to you on the new release :)

DeAnna Julie Dodson said...

Oooh, how very interesting. I'd love to sail in a tall ship, and I'd definitely climb the rigging. I'd want to be in the crow's nest! :D

Dina Sleiman said...

We have some favorites in common. Virginia and purple!

Anita Mae Draper said...

Very interesting, Laurie Alice. What were you doing on top of a mountain? Were you married then? And was there a 'secret' base nearby or something?

Suzie Johnson said...

I'm with Anita, Laurie Alice. What were you doing on that mountain top? Congratulations on all of your wonderful success. I've enjoyed watching it.

Susanne Dietze said...

Jennifer, I love learning new things about authors, too!

DeAnna, you are very brave, wanting to be in the crow's nest!

Dina, I didn't know purple was your favorite!

Anita and Suzie, I'm curious about the mountain, too!

Thanks for coming by, ladies!

Susanne Dietze said...

Laurie's having trouble with blogger, so I have a response from her regarding the mountain top:

"I was living there. Not married yet. Hadn't yet met my husband. Was sharing a house with a coworker, who was often gone overnight. It was a stone house with 18 inch deep window sills and bars on the lower windows to keep the deer from jumping through. Why there? Because I could. The land for FEMA abutted my property. Most of FEMA's installation is belowground and they have an underground runway. That's why planes would disappear. With lots of aboveground land, the military--I guess it was them--would have practice battles--or something. No one knew for sure. Guards wouldn't let anyone near the fence. If you walked near it, someone appeared from nowhere, someone like a marine type, and suggested you move along. I knew a woman who worked at FEMA who said she had never seen all of it because she didn't have clearance. That's where they took the VP on 9/11 for safety. There is a tunnel from that mountain to DC underground. 71 miles or so. No lie. No rumor."

Wow! Thanks, Laurie Alice!

Anita Mae Draper said...

That's fascinating, Laurie Alice. I can certainly believe the underground tunnel to DC because we have a similar one near Ottawa. NO underground runway, though. The guards you mentioned remind me of the movie, First Encounters of the Third Kind.

But the rest reminds me of my first posting to the Commcen in North Bay, Ontario where I worked for 3 yrs in NORAD's Semi Automated Ground Environment (SAGE) complex. At 60 storeys underground, the 'hole' was a fallout shelter able to withstand a 4 megaton bomb (more than 270 times stronger than the Hiroshima bomb). I remember leaving after work one day and I was almost through the blast door when the sirens started going off, red lights strobed through the tunnel, and everyone started running back into SAGE as the 19-ton steel vault door began to close. Man, what an adrenaline rush.

Susie, thanks for having Laurie Alice on your blog. :)

Anita Mae Draper said...

So sorry about my late reply... I hit published and then went on to other work. Finally realized it hadn't actually published... because it needed me to prove I wasn't a robot. Ha!