I knew that C.S. Lewis and I had more in common than our Christianity when he said, "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me." Welcome to a celebration of faith, tea, and the written word. I'm always engaged in a book, and whether it's one I'm reading or one of the inspirational historical romances I write, there's always a cup of tea close by. Join me in a cup as we chat about faith, our favorite books and the exciting places our reading and writing adventures take us.

Monday, September 22, 2014

Nob Hill: Glimpse Into My Coming Novella

My novella, Love's Reward, goes to the editor this week (which gives us about nine months to edit before publication in early summer, 2015). I've been hard at work, but I'm so excited, I want to share a few photos that helped inspire the story's setting!

The novella takes place in spring, 1896, San Francisco, CA among some of the city's wealthiest citizens. And there were indeed very wealthy people living in San Francisco. In the late nineteenth century, many of them clustered on Nob Hill, an exclusive neighborhood with breathtaking views. Because the residents were rich, they were called "nobility" or "nabobs", which was eventually shortened to "nob"--hence Nob Hill.

Take Mark Hopkins, for example. He was one of the Big Four who started the Central Pacific Railroad. Here's his home on Nob Hill in the 1880s.

Mark Hopkins Mansion, Nob Hill, San Francisco, 1880's. Survived only 28 years until the 1906 earthquake.
Mark Hopkins mansion, Nob Hill.
It's so grand, I used it as the setting for one of my secondary characters, Theodora Humphries. Get a look at the inside of it:
Mark Hopkins Mansion, Nob Hill, San Francisco, CA destroyed in San Francisco earthquake 1906
Hopkins mansion, interior
Too bad I didn't set the entire story here, eh? Alas, none of my characters are as wealthy as Theodora. Or Mr. Hopkins. (Sadly, the house wasn't entirely finished by his death in 1878.)

Mr. Hopkins' next door neighbor, by the way, was Governor Leland Stanford, of Stanford University fame. He was also one of the railroad's Big Four. His house is a little less showy than Mr. Hopkins'.
Mansion of Gov. Leland Stanford, Nob Hill, c. 1890--quite similar to Congressman Blair's house.
sfimages.com

It is just the sort of house my hero's father, Congressman Roger Blair, would find worthy of his high position.

Unfortunately, these homes (and their neighbors') were utterly destroyed by the earthquake and fires of 1906 (except for the granite walls surrounding the homes of the Big Four, including Hopkins and Stanford). The neighborhood maintained (and still maintains) its swanky reputation, but every owner of a great mansion rebuilt elsewhere. The InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco Hotel now stands where his mansion had been, and The Stanford Court sits atop the site of his home.

There are stories upon stories here, both real and imagined, just one of which is in my novella.



4 comments:

Anne Mateer said...

Love the houses, Susie! Can't wait to read your story!

Karen Lange said...

Such grand estates - would love to tour them and soak it all in. Thanks for sharing. Cannot wait to read your story. Cheering you on in this final part of the journey! :)

Susanne Dietze said...

Thanks, Anne! I am so excited! I am thoroughly enjoying your newest release, btw. I'll review it here soon!

Susanne Dietze said...

Karen, I'd love to tour, too. These homes were so grand, but had such short lives. The 1906 earthquake and fires ruined many buildings--and lives.

I appreciate you cheering me on!