I knew that C.S. Lewis and I had more in common than our Christianity when he said, "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me." Welcome to a celebration of faith, tea, and the written word. I'm always engaged in a book, and whether it's one I'm reading or one of the inspirational historical romances I write, there's always a cup of tea close by. Join me in a cup as we chat about faith, our favorite books and the exciting places our reading and writing adventures take us.

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Dreams Come True...I SOLD!

I SOLD A STORY!

My novella, Love's Reward, will be published by Barbour in June, 2015!
Signing the contract!

The contract is in the mail, and I'm busy with the novella.

You might be wondering what a novella is. Well, it's a shortened novel (20,000 words in my case), and my story will be one of nine Christian historical romances in a special collection, The Most Eligible Bachelor. Novellas are a popular read among fans of Christian romance--including me!

The timing was amazing. My parents gifted our family with a trip to Disneyworld and after a hot, full day of rides, meeting characters, and walking for miles, we waited for our dinner reservation and sat on the porch of the Crystal Palace restaurant. Perfectly in view was a very noisy but cute show about Disney heroes defeating the bad guys, with fireworks to boot--which is probably why I missed the call.

We went in to dinner (air conditioning at last!). Once seated, I got out my phone to take a picture of my kids with Piglet when, eek, I saw I'd missed a call from my agent, Tamela Hancock Murray.

That could only mean one of a few things. A sale, perhaps...but it could have been anything. A clarification question or an update were possible.

Then the high-volume Pooh Friendship Celebration conga line started up and I decided my best bet to hear Tamela was to head to the restaurant's bathroom.

Fortunately for me, there were two chairs in a little vestibule outside the bathrooms. While I phoned Tamela, my husband and son washed up in the men's room. I cannot remember everything Tamela and I said during the call, but My Guys could hear me shrieking from the men's room. I didn't sound creepy, they assured me. But I did get odd looks.

I didn't care. My story had been chosen. And I got back to the table with the clichéd thought that Disneyworld advertises that dreams come true at their parks. A nice campaign.
The slogan is even on the coasters!

But in my case, it was true!

And I could go back to the table and tell my husband, kids, and parents all about it.

I cannot tell you how thrilled I am. For one thing, I love Barbour novellas. I have about two shelves' worth of them, doubled stacked, that I read over and over. It's an honor to be chosen to participate in one of their collections.

And of course, I can't believe I'm going to see my name on a cover of a book. I may be a writer, but words can't express how I feel about this. Delighted, thrilled, scared, humbled, in awe. There are some things in life that happen that knock your socks off. This is one of those for me.

I am so grateful. I appreciate Becky Germany from Barbour for taking a chance on me. I am thankful for Tamela's hard work and many, many kindnesses. Then there's my family. My husband supports me, my kids cheer me on, my parents are encouraging, and I wouldn't have sold without them.

Neither would I have sold without my friends and critique partners encouraging and helping me. In the case of this specific story, Debra E. Marvin, Gina Welborn, and Anita Mae Draper helped me polish up the proposal.

Thank you for reading this far and celebrating with me! Thank you for cheering me on!

After a lifetime of dreaming this dream, it's an amazing day for me, and I'm so glad to share it with you.

**

The Dream, by the way, took a lot of time, sweat and tears (no blood, but it felt like it). Next Monday I'll share Part 2 of the story.

20 comments:

Mary Curry said...

Susie!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations! I'm so very happy for you. I love your call story.

Susanne Dietze said...

Thanks so much, Mary! And congratulations to you! I can't wait for your book to come out!

I'm so happy! Thanks for sharing with me.

Roseanna White said...

So exciting! Congrats, Susie!

Susanne Dietze said...

Thanks, Roseanna! I'm so glad you popped by, too. Hope all is well.

Kiersti said...

Yay! That's so exciting. I look forward to reading Love's Reward when it comes out...what a treat that will be. :)

Susanne Dietze said...

Thank you, Kiersti! You are such a sweetheart and I'm so glad we met last year.

Jessica Snell said...

Yay! Congratulations, Susie! :D I'm so happy for you!

Karen Lange said...

Congratulations Susie! I am so happy and excited for you! :D Looking forward to reading it!

Gabrielle Meyer said...

Congratulations, Susie!!! I'm so thrilled for you, and I can't wait to read your story. Love that you were at Disney World when you got "The Call." :) Celebrate!!!

Elaine K said...

Congratulations! And what an amazing place to find out! Might this become the setting for a new story?? :)

Susanne Dietze said...

Thanks, Jessica! That means so much to me!

Susanne Dietze said...

Karen, you are so sweet! Thank you so much!

Susanne Dietze said...

Gabrielle, I am delighted to share the experience of "first sale" in the collection with you. Congratulations to you, too!

Susanne Dietze said...

Thank you Elaine! Wouldn't that be fun to set a story at Disney? I would be happy to do more research! :)

Anne Mateer said...

So very, very happy for you, Susie!!!!!! Congrats!!!!

Susanne Dietze said...

Oh Anne, thanks so much! Thanks for visiting.

I can't wait for your next novel. When does it come out?

Anne Mateer said...

9/15 is the official day! So happy to have you on my influencer list again. Your support and encouragement and friendship have meant so much to me!

Susanne Dietze said...

You are one of my favorite writers, Anne! It's a privilege!

Erica Vetsch said...

Congratulations!!!!! :) :) :)

Susanne Dietze said...

Thanks, Erica! I'm delighted to be working with you on this project!