I knew that C.S. Lewis and I had more in common than our Christianity when he said, "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me." Welcome to a celebration of faith, tea, and the written word. I'm always engaged in a book, and whether it's one I'm reading or one of the inspirational historical romances I write, there's always a cup of tea close by. Join me in a cup as we chat about faith, our favorite books and the exciting places our reading and writing adventures take us.

Monday, July 28, 2014

Ten Things with Davalynn Spencer...and a Giveaway!

Welcome Davalynn Spencer to Tea and a Good Book!

Wife and mother of professional rodeo bullfighters, Davalynn Spencer began her writing journey in the national rodeo market, winning awards in the process. Today she writes inspirational western romance – both historical and contemporary - and teaches writing at Pueblo Community College. She and her handsome cowboy have three children and four grandchildren and make their home on Colorado’s Front Range with a Queensland heeler named Blue. Connect with her online at www.davalynnspencer.com, www.Facebook.com/AuthorDavalynnSpencer.com and on Twitter @davalynnspencer.

1. If I could have a super power, it would be flight – as a bird on the wing or a horse on the run.

2. I wrote my first story in the sixth grade.

3. The second story I wrote (six years later) was about a cowboy come home to heal up after being injured at a rodeo. The next year I met him. Two years later, I married him.

4. Bacon makes everything better.

5. While vacationing in Southern California, I was on the Price is Right and took home the loser consolation prize of a suitcase, a carton of Jelly Belly Jelly Beans, and a blender that sounded like a tractor. I thought I did all right because the grand prize of the day was a vacation to Colorado. We live in Colorado.

6. Writing is a compulsion. I must find the words to show what I imagine or see or feel or smell … I must find just the right words to paint the message of God’s great love story.

7. I prefer shoes with no shoe strings.

8. My favorite ice cream is also Colorado’s favorite ice cream: Chocolate mint chip. I knew I loved this state for a reason.

9. When my husband was seriously injured during his rodeo bullfighter days, I dressed up in his baggy pants and carried on with the comedy acts between rodeo events. Didn’t fight bulls during the bull riding, though. Mama didn’t raise no fool.

10. I love storms. Maybe it’s because I’ve always lived near mountains and I’m awed by the power and intensity of a storm that rolls up against the Rocky Mountains and thunders down their rugged slopes. Or maybe it’s because storms remind me that I serve a God who wraps himself in light, makes the clouds his chariot, and rides on the wings of the wind (Psalm 104:2, 3).  
 
**
Thank you, Davalynn! I love #3...and I'm curious about #9! That sounds like quite a story...oh my goodness!
**
Davalynn has graciously offered to giveaway a copy of her newest release, Romancing the Widow, to one randomly-chosen commenter!
Romancing the Widow

Martha Stanton Isn't Looking for Love


The light went out of Martha's soul when her husband fell to a bullet in St. Louis. Now, back in her hometown of Cañon City, she's convinced she'll never know happiness again. Until she crosses paths with a darkly mysterious Colorado Ranger.

Haskell Jacobs has a mission. And the beautiful, flame-haired widow sure isn't it. But Martha is somehow mixed up in the crime that brought Haskell to the rough-and-tumble town…and soon, she's entangled in the lawman's heart. But the danger that lurks around them is all too real. Can they find strength and love in each other before it's too late?
 

To enter, please leave a comment with a way to contact you by 11:59 PDT Thursday, July 31, 2014. The winner will be announced here!

17 comments:

Davalyn Spencer said...

Thanks for hosting me, Susanne. It was great fun considering the 10 things!

Susanne Dietze said...

I appreciate you being here, Davalynn! Thanks, too, for offering a copy of your brand new release. It looks lovely and I can't wait to read it!

Sally Chambers said...

It was fun getting to read of those ten fun things about Davalyn, Susanne! I enjoyed your blog post!
~Sally

Susanne Dietze said...

Hi Sally! I'm glad you could come by and learn a bit about Davalynn. Her list is so much fun!

Susanne Dietze said...

I've been told Blogger may be experiencing technical difficulties. If you have problems leaving a comment and would like to be entered into the drawing for Davalynn's book, please contact me at authorsusannedietze@gmail.com

My apologies for the inconvenience!

On that note, Jacqueline Gillam Fairchild is entered into the drawing!

Davalyn Spencer said...

Thanks Sally and Jacqueline for reading and entering!

DeAnna Julie Dodson said...

Oh, this was so fun to read!

How lovely that you met and married your own real-life cowboy! That's precious. :D

Sounds like a great book. :D

Davalyn Spencer said...

Thank you, DeAnna. When I saw those chocolate-brown eyes and that cowboy hat, I didn't have much of a chance!

Susanne Dietze said...

DeAnna, I thought the same thing about her cowboy! I love hearing a bit about people's personal love stories. :)

You're entered into the drawing! Thanks for coming by.

Ellen Gray said...

Sounds like you have had some interesting experiences. I can't imagine being a rodeo clown - bull or no bull! Thanks for sharing. I am going to have to look up your books at my library. Ellen Gray

steveandellengray@yahoo.com

Davalyn Spencer said...

Thanks for reading, Ellen. Hope you enjoy them!

Susanne Dietze said...

Hi Ellen! I can't imagine being a rodeo clown either...I'm curious about Davalynn's experience. It sounds like adrenaline rush!

You're entered into the drawing! Thanks for coming by.

Karen Lange said...

Thanks for the intro to Davalynn, Susie! It's fun to get to know other writers. Loved #4, and I must agree! Thanks to both of you for sharing this post.

I'll pass on the giveaway since I won not so long ago. :)

karenk said...

a wonderful posting...thanks for the chance to read this wonderful novel, ladies :)

karenk
kmkuka at yahoo dot com

Susanne Dietze said...

Karen, bacon does make everything better, doesn't it? :)

Thanks for visiting, and I'll make a note not to enter you into the drawing. Blessings!

Susanne Dietze said...

Hi KarenK! I'm glad you could meet Davalynn. Thanks for visiting, and I've entered you into the drawing!

Davalyn Spencer said...

Karen and KarenK - thanks for stopping by. Hope you enjoy the story! And yes - bacon.