I knew that C.S. Lewis and I had more in common than our Christianity when he said, "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me." Welcome to a celebration of faith, tea, and the written word. I'm always engaged in a book, and whether it's one I'm reading or one of the inspirational historical romances I write, there's always a cup of tea close by. Join me in a cup as we chat about faith, our favorite books and the exciting places our reading and writing adventures take us.

Monday, June 9, 2014

Ten Things with Shirley Raye Redmond...and a Giveaway!

An award-winning children’s book author, Shirley Raye Redmond holds an M.A. in literature from the University of Illinois. She has been married to her husband Bill for forty years, and is active with Community Bible Study. They have two grown children, one grandson and another grandbaby on the way. Amanda’s Beau is her first inspirational romance.


Shirley has graciously offered a digital copy of Amanda's Beau to one lucky commenter! Please leave a comment by 11:59 PDT Thursday, June 12. The winner will be announced June 13.

Ten Things about Shirley:


(1) I live in the mountains in New Mexico.
(2) We’ve twice had to flee our home due to forest fires.
(3) I grew up on the island of Okinawa.
(4) I have survived earthquakes and typhoons there.
(4) I have been to Iceland and held a puffin.
(5) I laugh out loud when reading Georgette Heyer’s regency novels.
(6) My children’s book Lewis & Clark: A Prairie Dog for the President was a Children’s Book of the Month Club selection.
(7) I love homemade caramels and green chile.
(8) I am active in Community Bible Study.
(9) One of my favorite hymns is “Christ Receiveth Sinful Men.”
(10) When traveling through England, I visited with C.S. Lewis’ former secretary, Walter Hooper and got the inside scoop on my favorite author.

Thanks for sharing with us, Shirley! (I'm dying to know more about #10!)

Here's more about Amanda's Beau:

The year is 1905. It is autumn in the village of Aztec in New Mexico territory. Amanda Dale is burdened with the responsibility of caring for her widowed sister—an invalid--and Ella’s two children—one a premature infant. Schoolteacher Gil Gladney is handsome, intelligent, and God-fearing. He is drawn to Amanda, but feels he cannot propose marriage until he is able to purchase the ranch he has been saving for. When Gil and his pupils discover the relics of an ancient culture among the ruins outside the village, Gil contacts an old college friend. The possibility of an archeological excavation excites the community of cash-strapped farmers, eager to earn extra money working on the site. When a rabid skunk reels through the excavation site, threatening the lives of Amanda and her nephew Rex, Gil realizes that life is short and the possibility of true happiness can be fleeting. In the end, Amanda learns to trust God to provide the happily-ever-after ending she’s been praying for.

Visit her website at www.shirleyrayeredmond.com, and don't forget to leave a comment to enter the drawing for a digital copy.

9 comments:

DeAnna Julie Dodson said...

Oooh, I LOL at Heyer, too. You have to listen to her audiobooks as read by Richard Armitage (and no one else!). They're the best.

I love C. S. Lewis, too. You must have great taste. :D

Susanne Dietze said...

Ah, DeAnna, I hadn't realized Richard Armitage reads her books on audio!

Thanks so much for coming by. You're entered into the drawing!

Debra E. Marvin said...

Oh darn. I really need to get those Heyer books with RA narrating!

Hi Shirley!
I am going to ask you for the recipe of Caramels and Green Chiles.
We often eat Tex-Mex for Christmas so... (okay I'm kidding). I learned how to make toffee and report that's it's too easy.

Loved your list and from it I think I'd like to read your story.

Tell me more about your children's book! My heart fluttered when I saw Lewis and Clark. Of course that could be the names of two puppies and not my favorite explorers...

What a delight that you were able to meet C.S.Lewis's secretary. It must have been quite a trip!

shirleyrayeredmond.com said...

Hi, Debra,

I'm afraid I don't have a recipe for caramels with green chiles--I enjoy the two separately, but wow!
Buttery caramels with green chiles would be tasty.
I might have to give that a try.

The Lewis and Clark book is one of my 2 dozen kid
books--all at my website, if you're interested. It's a Random House title and focuses on the amusing incident when the two explorers captured one of those critters for Thomas Jefferson.

Norma Gail said...

I am anxious to read Amanda's Beau! Fudge with red chile is great! I think caramels with green chile sounds wonderful!

Debra E. Marvin said...

Thanks, I'll be sure to look at your site. And thank you for creating children's books--it's something I really admire.

Shelly Sutherland said...

Hey! I share 6 of your ten things! We must be sisters! I Shirley do admire you, Shirley-Raye!

Susanne Dietze said...

Debra, Norma, and Shelly, you're all entered into the drawing! Thanks so much for coming by.

Susanne Dietze said...

Congratulations to Norma Gail! Her name was chosen at random to receive a copy of Shirley Rae's book. Please contact me with your email address, authorsusannedietze at gmail dot com. Thanks, and thanks to everyone who entered!