I knew that C.S. Lewis and I had more in common than our Christianity when he said, "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me." Welcome to a celebration of faith, tea, and the written word. I'm always engaged in a book, and whether it's one I'm reading or one of the inspirational historical romances I write, there's always a cup of tea close by. Join me in a cup as we chat about faith, our favorite books and the exciting places our reading and writing adventures take us.

Monday, June 23, 2014

Ten Things with Author Mary Ellis--and a Giveaway!

Welcome to Mary Ellis!

 Mary Ellis
Mary grew up close to the eastern Ohio Amish community, Geauga County, where her parents often took her to farmer’s markets and woodworking fairs. She loved their peaceful, agrarian lifestyle, their respect for the land, and their strong sense of Christian community. She met her husband in college and they married six days after graduation. She, her husband, dog and cat now live close to the largest population of Amish in the country—a four-county area in central Ohio. They often take weekend trips to purchase produce, research for her best-selling books, and enjoy a simpler way of life. Mary enjoys reading, traveling, gardening, bicycling and swimming. Before “retiring” to write full-time, Mary taught Middle School in Sheffield Lake, Ohio and worked as a sales rep for Hershey Chocolate for twenty years—a job with amazingly sweet fringe benefits.
 
Mary has generously offered to giveaway a copy of her most recent Amish release, A Plain Man--so don't forget to leave a comment to enter the drawing!
 

Ten Things about Mary:

 
1) As a child I fully intended to marry a Amish famer when I grew up. As an adult, once I realized how hard Amish wives work, I decided to write about their simple culture instead.
 
2) I used to jump off the high-diving board and find a quarter on the pool bottom in 20 ft. of water. Now I can barely hold my breath a minute.
 
3) I love lima beans, broccoli, Brussell sprouts and anything green.
 
4) I prefer maps over my GPS.
 
5) I studied Spanish in high school, college, and night school. Yet when I visited Mexico, my accent was so appalling, locals didn't recognize their language.
 
6) One summer I was a volunteer snake handler at the Cleveland Zoo giving programs to summer camps and daycares.
 
7) My ideal vacation always includes a beach.
 
8) I have been swimming with giant tortoises, dolphins, sand sharks and unfortunately, sea urchins.
 
9) I have worked at least 10 jobs during my lifetime, but being an author is my all-time favorite.
 
10) My latest release, took me back to Winesburg and Shreve, Ohio, where I began my Amish release 7 years ago.
 
You can visit Mary's website, www.maryellis.net.

A Plain Man:
 
Though Caleb Beachy lived in the Englisch world for some years, he is a Plain man at heart. When he decides to return to the Amish lifestyle, he moves back home and goes to work for his father. Soon these two strong-willed men find themselves at odds. Caleb discovers there's more to embracing his faith and reconnecting with the community than merely driving a horse and buggy and giving up Levis.
 
Josie Yoder was just a girl when he left. All grown up now, she gives Caleb hope for the future. She soothes his frayed temper and is determined to remind him that while his faith may have wavered, God never left his side. Caleb is tempted to return Josie's feelings, but the choices he made while away are a heavy burden on his conscience. Will past mistakes end up destroying their fledgling romance? Or will she be able to break through the wall around his heart?
 
A Plain Man is more than just a sweet romance centered in Amish beliefs. It's the ever-fresh story of a wounded heart finding joy, health, and healing in God's infinite grace.

Don't forget to leave a comment by 11:59 pm PDT Thursday, June 12, to be entered into the drawing for A Plain Man. The winner will be announced Friday, June 13!
 
 

9 comments:

Karen Lange said...

Susie, thanks so much for this intro to Mary! Mary, it's nice to meet and learn more about you!:) Wishing you all the best with your books.

I'll pass on the giveaway since I won last week. Happy writing!

Susanne Dietze said...

HI Karen! Thanks for coming by--and thanks to Mary for sharing with us today!

Happy writing to you, too, Karen.

Gina Welborn said...

Thanks, Mary, for sharing about your book!

Susanne Dietze said...

Hi Gina! I'm so glad you could visit today. Thanks for meeting Mary!

Suzie Johnson said...

Mary! You are a very interesting lady. Thank you for sharing all of these cool facts. I'd much rather be a rep for Hershey than work as hard as an Amish wife, too. Great choice. What I can't quite wrap my head around is the snake handling job. Couldn't you have fed the gorillas instead? Or the red pandas? Anything but snakes. Lol.

karenk said...

a wonderful posting...thanks for the chance to read Mary's latest novel :)

karenk
kmkuka at yahoo dot com

Susanne Dietze said...

Hi Suzie. I'm with you on the snake handling. I don't do reptiles. Or rats. :)

Susanne Dietze said...

Hi Karen K! So glad you could come by and meet Mary!

Susanne Dietze said...

Congratulations to KarenK for winning the book!

Thanks to Mary Ellis for visiting and for offering the book!