I knew that C.S. Lewis and I had more in common than our Christianity when he said, "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me." Welcome to a celebration of faith, tea, and the written word. I'm always engaged in a book, and whether it's one I'm reading or one of the inspirational historical romances I write, there's always a cup of tea close by. Join me in a cup as we chat about faith, our favorite books and the exciting places our reading and writing adventures take us.

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Summer Reads 2014

It's officially summer at my house! Hot weather, no school--perfect to sit in the shade with a good book. (And an iced tea, of course.)

I've got a stack of TBR (To Be Read) titles waist high, but here's what I'm reading right now:

Bloom and Doom by Beverly Allen

Beverly, aka the fabulous Barbara Early, recently released Book 1 in her Bridal Bouquet Shop Mystery series. This cozy mystery series centers around florist Audrey Bloom, who finds herself in the role of amateur sleuth. Just fabulous! I love the characters. Please note that this book isn't published by a CBA publisher, but the content is sweet and I have no objection letting my teenager read it. If you enjoy cozy mysteries, check it out. I can't wait for the next book, For Whom the Bluebell Tolls.

An Amish Miracle by Beth Wiseman, Mary Ellis, and Ruth Reid

Three Amish novellas by some of my favorite authors of Amish romance (and of course, Ruth is one of my critique partners. Despite my unashamed biased, you have to trust me: she's So Good!).  Sometimes, I am in the mood for a good novella: they're short but satisfying, and some days I need just that. Looking forward to cozying up with these.

Cecelia Jackson's Last Stand by Robbie Iobst


This book came onto my radar recently. At first, I wasn't sure how I felt about one of the main characters, but then I got caught up in the story about the three women who'd been mentored as young adults by Cecelia Jackson before their friendship exploded, and now must reunite to make up a huge batch of her famous/secret recipe tuna salad for the funeral. The sin portrayed in the book is realistic, but the book is funny, it's sweet, it's a bit sad, and the journey toward redemption is satisfying. I'm almost at the end!

What about you? What are you reading right now?





1 comment:

Barbara Early said...

Hi, Susie!

Thanks for including Bloom and Doom on your summer reading list!