I knew that C.S. Lewis and I had more in common than our Christianity when he said, "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me." Welcome to a celebration of faith, tea, and the written word. I'm always engaged in a book, and whether it's one I'm reading or one of the inspirational historical romances I write, there's always a cup of tea close by. Join me in a cup as we chat about faith, our favorite books and the exciting places our reading and writing adventures take us.

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

A Worthy Investment for Writers



Taking a time out from our recent fiction fest! I have to tell you about a rich book for writers. 

The Art & Craft of Fiction: A Practitioners Manual, by Victoria Mixon.
If you're a newbie interesting in writing a novel, or a seasoned author with a handful of books under your belt, this is the book for you. Yes, I'm serious.

Relying on years of experience as an editor and writer, Mixon offers up an intelligent, fun, delightful-to-read book on writing fiction with topics that applicable to every phase in the writing journey, from craft to querying. It’s the type of book you read through and then return to again and again for assistance, or even encouragement as you’re banging your head against your keyboard wondering how to make your story work better.

To add flesh to her points, Mixon’s literary examples to are choice—these are books you’ve actually read. She also makes up her own examples, which are hilarious. Her voice shines through, too, as she adds commentary about her own life. I felt like I was sitting over coffee discussing dialogue and hooks and characterization with a friend, and that made reading a lot more fun.

One of my favorite parts of the books is Everything You Need To Know About Writing a Novel, in 1,000 Words. She made the exercise seem effortless, and I totally wish I’d been able to write this myself!

The Art and Craft of Fiction is deserving of a spot on a writer’s “Writing Shelf.” My copy is already dog-eared and creased, and every time I peek back into it I find a new gem. I highly recommend this book. 

It's available on Amazon for your Kindle or in print format.

No comments: