I knew that C.S. Lewis and I had more in common than our Christianity when he said, "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me." Welcome to a celebration of faith, tea, and the written word. I'm always engaged in a book, and whether it's one I'm reading or one of the inspirational historical romances I write, there's always a cup of tea close by. Join me in a cup as we chat about faith, our favorite books and the exciting places our reading and writing adventures take us.

Thursday, September 26, 2013

Ten Things with Author Julianna Deering...And a Giveaway!

 Today we Welcome Julianna Deering to Tea and a Good Book!

 Julianna is a multi-published author, and her latest release from Bethany House is a 1930's murder mystery!
 1.    I am the proud "mother" of three cats:  Eloise, Elizabeth and Petie.  I've had cats pretty much all my life, but Peite has turned my house upside down.  He brings new meaning to the phrase "terrible twos," and he's only just turned one!  But he makes me laugh every day and I wouldn't trade him for a million dollars.  I love all three of them more than I can say.

2.    I love music.  I played the oboe and the bassoon when I was in junior high and high school.  I played the piano when I was in college.  I sang with my church's music team for nearly eighteen years.  I loved all of it, but sadly, I've let it all go.  I miss it, too.  Maybe someday I'll at least get back into singing.

3.    I absolutely love NHL hockey.  Yes, I was born and raised in Texas, so I came to the sport late in life, but it's tremendous fun to watch and I can't wait for the new season to start.  Go Stars! 

4.    When I was growing up, I loved to read, but I had no plan whatsoever to be a writer.  But I used to write episodes for my favorite TV shows.  Just to entertain myself.

5.    I have an idea for a fantasy/adventure story.  I'm going to write it as soon as I get some free time.  It's probably crazy and unsellable, but I want to write it anyway, even if nobody ever sees it but me.

6.    I cannot be trusted around chocolate.

7.    I love book series.  I enjoy reading about the same characters over a long period of time.  It's like spending time with old friends.  However, I don't like it when a series becomes something very different from what it started out to be.  If an author can't keep it interesting within the premise I liked in the first place, it's better just to end it.

8.    I secretly want to direct movies and plays.  I think that's why I write.  I can have the greatest costumes and sets and actors all for the cost of a pencil and paper and a little imagination.

9.    I love to sew.  I'm a quilter mostly, but I also do cross stitch and embroidery.  Right now I'm on a hand applique kick.  It's a challenge at times, but I love it.

10.    I have nothing, am nothing, and can do nothing apart from God through Jesus Christ.

Mystery in the style of Agatha Christie and Dorothy Sayers!
Julianna Deering has always been an avid reader and a lover of storytelling, whether on the page, the screen or the stage.  This, along with her keen interest in history and her Christian faith, shows in her tales of love, forgiveness and triumph over adversity.  A fifth-generation Texan, she makes her home north of Dallas with three spoiled cats and, when not writing, spends her free time quilting, cross stitching and watching NHL hockey.  Her first books, written as DeAnna Julie Dodson, are In Honor Bound, By Love Redeemed and To Grace Surrendered, a trilogy of medieval romances.  More recently, she has written four contemporary Annie's Attic Mysteries:  Letters in the Attic, The Key in the Attic, The Diary in the Attic and The Legacy in the Attic.  Her new series of Drew Farthering mysteries set in 1930s England debuts with Rules of Murder and will be followed by Death by the Book in March, 2014.  She is represented by Wendy Lawton of the Books & Such Literary Agency (wendy@booksandsuch.biz). 
 
Thanks for sharing with us today, Julianna!
 

Julianna has graciously offered to give a copy of Rules of Murder to one lucky commenter! To enter the drawing, please include a way to contact you in your comment. Winner will be drawn at random Sunday, Sept 29, at 11:59 pm EDT and announced here Monday, Sept 30.

9 comments:

Elaine K said...

Like Julianna, I like a good book series following the stories of my new "friends". Unless the series gets TOO long!
I would be happy to win this book and will read it regardless of whether or not I win!

elaineking1 at hotmail dot com

Susanne Dietze said...

Hi Elaine! Thanks so much for visiting. I've got you entered into the drawing!

Debra E. Marvin said...

plus...#11 Julianna Deering is adorable. I'm adding that one!

DeAnna Julie Dodson said...

Thank you for letting me visit, Susie. I'm eager to give one of your readers a copy of Rules.

And, Deb, you're too sweet. Bless you!

karenk said...

a wonderful posting...thanks for the chance to read this mystery :)

karenk
kmkuka at yahoo dot com

Cheryl Klarich said...

I really enjoyed the Agatha Christie style and period glamour of The Rules of Murder!
I look forward to spending more time with the characters in this series!

(I want more people to read Juliana's work...so since I already have a copy...)

Bless you and happy reading!!

Susanne Dietze said...

Deb, she is, isn't she?

:) It's nice to have fans, eh, Julianna?

Susanne Dietze said...

Hi Karenk! You're entered into the drawing--thanks so much for stopping by!

Susanne Dietze said...

Hi Cheryl! I'm so glad you enjoyed Rules of Murder. We have to wait until March for the next book...hopefully the time will pass quickly!