I knew that C.S. Lewis and I had more in common than our Christianity when he said, "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me." Welcome to a celebration of faith, tea, and the written word. I'm always engaged in a book, and whether it's one I'm reading or one of the inspirational historical romances I write, there's always a cup of tea close by. Join me in a cup as we chat about faith, our favorite books and the exciting places our reading and writing adventures take us.

Friday, April 19, 2013

Forsaken Dreams



Forsaken Dreams (Escape to Paradise)In Forsaken Dreams (Escape to Paradise), MaryLu Tyndall takes the reader on a journey over the sea from a South ravaged by the Civil War to the paradise of Brazil--a place to start over and live in peace. 

The characters are all in desperate need of peace and yearnings to start new lives.  Colonel Blake Wallace was a war hero, but he is haunted by the horrors he experienced during the Civil War and the death of his family. He is eager to start a colony in Brazil, far away from the darkness of his past. On board the ship, the New Hope, he meets Eliza Crawford, a widow and former Confederate nurse.

Eliza holds a secret that, if exposed, could ruin her new life in Brazil—a life she realizes she wants to forge with Blake. But Blake would never forgive her if he uncovered her secret.

Meanwhile, disease, storms, and darkness follow the ship, threatening the arrival of the passengers to their new paradise.

I had no idea former Southerners from the US established new homes in Brazil after the Civil War. MaryLu Tyndall creates fresh stories every time she pens a novel, and I love how her characters are three-dimensional, broken people. They are likable, but not perfect: they deal with alcoholism, PTSD, pain, and anxiety, just like real people do. Such inclusions make the spiritual threads all the stronger and more relatable. 

I look forward to the second book in the series!

I was provided with a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for my review.

No comments: