I knew that C.S. Lewis and I had more in common than our Christianity when he said, "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me." Welcome to a celebration of faith, tea, and the written word. I'm always engaged in a book, and whether it's one I'm reading or one of the inspirational historical romances I write, there's always a cup of tea close by. Join me in a cup as we chat about faith, our favorite books and the exciting places our reading and writing adventures take us.

Monday, March 4, 2013

Ten Things with Alison Stone...and a Giveaway!


Welcome Alison Stone!

Alison writes romantic suspense for Harlequin Love Inspired Suspense and Samhain Publishing. Her debut novel, Random Acts, was a finalist for the prestigious Daphne du Maurier Award in the unpublished inspirational category. Alison lives in Western New York with her husband of over twenty years and their four children where the summers are absolutely gorgeous and the winters are perfect for curling up with a good book—or writing one. Besides writing, Alison keeps busy volunteering at her children's schools, driving her girls to dance, and watching her boys race motocross.

***

Thank you, Susanne, for hosting me on Tea and a Good Book. I absolutely love the title of your blog. Tea and a good book are my idea of the perfect evening.


I’m very excited my first book, Random Acts, originally only available in eBook format, has been released in print. I can’t describe the joy of opening the box from UPS to find my shiny books inside.

Susanne invited me to share 10 things about myself. So, here goes:

1.      I graduated from Georgia Tech with a degree in Industrial Engineering. I worked for a number of years in the pharmaceutical, aeronautical, and automotive industries. It sounds far more exciting than it actually was.
2.      An advertisement in a women’s magazine for the Institute of Children’s Literature sparked my interest in writing. I never did have success writing children’s books. I found my true calling writing romantic suspense.
3.      I have four children, two boys and two girls. The boys race motocross and my girls are dancers. No, I’m not a dance mom.  Ha ha!
4.      I graduated from an all-girls Catholic high school. (One day I will use this in a book!) I was offended that they required us to take typing. Not keyboarding. Typing. In the eighties, they still taught on electric typewriters. I thought they were training us for a career in secretarial work. (I suppose I was a bit of a feminist, says this now stay-at-home mom/writer. J) Little did I know the ability to type—with speed and accuracy—would be a tremendous asset in my second career as a writer.
5.      I don’t like to fly. I do it anyway.
6.      I don’t like the cold, yet I live outside of Buffalo, NY.
7.      The idea for Random Acts came to me when I read a newspaper article about a young girl who had been coerced into being a drug informant simply because she had been pulled over for speeding. After doing some research, I learned this was not an isolated incident. From there, I thought, “What if…” and a story was born.
8.      My third book, Plain Secrets, will be released by Harlequin Love Inspired Suspense in June 2013. When I was in NYC for the Romance Writers of America conference in 2011, I heard the editors say they wanted to see more Amish stories. That week, I had an idea: “What if a plane crashed in Amish country?” I wrote the story and less than a year later, I sold it to Harlequin! J
9.      I am a homebody. I am never bored at home with a good book or my laptop.
10.  I love tea. It seems the tea choices at the grocery store have exploded. My husband and I are working our way through the different flavors. Right now I’m drinking Celestial Seasonings Green Tea, Blackberry Pomegranate. Yum!

Thanks for indulging me! Just to mix things up, I’m giving away an eBook copy (from Amazon/US or Barnes and Noble/US) of Too Close to Home, another romantic suspense that is due out in print in July. 

The tagline for Too Close to Home is: They say you can never go home. If you do, better watch your back. All you have to do is make a comment. I’ll select a winner randomly. I’d love to know if you have a favorite tea. Or, if you don’t drink tea, what’s your favorite beverage? 

Thanks for stopping by. You can learn more about me and my books on my website: www.AlisonStone.com. Follow her on Twitter: @Alison_Stone or Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AlisonStoneAuthor .

About RANDOM ACTS:
                                                 
4 STARS "Romantic suspense fans, hold onto your hats because Stone evokes a whirlwind of emotions from the moment her book begins. This engaging story with a tough-as-nails heroine kicks off with a mystery readers will want to sink their teeth into..."
-RT Book Reviews on Random Acts

BLURB: Bitter experience left Danielle hesitant to open her heart. When a family crisis brings her home, the hard-nosed attorney is forced to face the man that let her get away. And that her sister’s accident was staged to mask a beating.

Though Patrick guards his heart, seeing Danielle again reignites their old flame. But no way will he bring her into his daughter’s life, not when her values on faith and family are so different from his own. Yet they must work together to bring a criminal to justice before everything is destroyed—including their second chance at forever. 

*** Don't forget to leave a comment so you can enter the drawing! A Winner will be chosen Friday, March 8. Be sure to leave your email addy in the comment!

14 comments:

Jessica Nelson said...

OOOOH, all those covers rock! Congrats Alison! I'm looking forward to reading your work. :-) Thanks for sharing about yourself too. Funny how our lives can be not what we expected! lol

Karen Lange said...

Thanks, Susie, for the intro to Alison! The books look great, Alison, I'll have to check them out. :) Wishing you both much writing success!

Blessings,
Karen
klange61AThotmailDOTcom

Susanne Dietze said...

Thanks so much for sharing with us today, Alison!

I had to take a year of typing in high school. I suppose it could get depressing if I considered how many hours I spent measuring inches, counting pica, buying erasable onionskin typing paper, and practicing two spaces after a period--all of them obsolete now!

I hope you're enjoying a nice day in Buffalo!

Susanne Dietze said...

Hi Jessica! Those are some great covers, aren't they? I can't wait for Plain Pursuit to come out--it sounds great.

I'm so glad you could stop by!

Susanne Dietze said...

Hi Karen! Thanks so much for visiting to meet Alison. I've got you entered into the drawing. Blessings!

Alison Stone said...

Hi Susanne, thank you for hosting me! :) Thanks for stopping by, Jessica (a fellow LI author!) and Karen. I appreciate all the well wishes!

It's a cold, snowy day in Buffalo. I can't wait for spring.

Alison

Cheryl Norman said...

Gee, we have much in common. I write romantic suspense and attended college in Atlanta (Georgia State), I hate to fly, and I love to drink tea and read good books. I'll be sure to include Random Acts.

Alison Stone said...

I am looking forward to visiting Atlanta this summer for the RWA conference. I'll be able to visit my college roommate.

I used the Georgia State library a few times. Nice city campus. However, last time I visited Tech, they have expanded further into the city, too. I really like Atlanta.

Thanks for stopping by, Cheryl. I have my tea next to me and it's time to write. Hope your writing is going well today.

Susanne Dietze said...

Hi Cheryl, so nice to have you stop by! You and Alison do have a few things in common. I'd love to hear more about your romantic suspense novels. I love reading them, but I couldn't write one if I tried.

karenk said...

a wonderful posting...thanks for the chance to read this novel

karenk
kmkuka at yahoo dot com

Susanne Dietze said...

Hi KarenK! I've got you entered into the drawing. Thanks so much for coming by!

Alison Stone said...

Hi Karen, thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment.

Debra E. Marvin said...

I think Susie and Alison were made to be friends!

And hey! waving at fellow WNYer...
(still chilly but the sun came out today! woo hoo!)

Thanks for introducing me to Alison, Susie. Congratulations on all your recent successes!

Susanne Dietze said...

Hi Deb! Yes, Alison and I will definitely have to meet up someday for a cup of tea.

I'm so glad you could come by! You and Alison both write romance with suspense.