I knew that C.S. Lewis and I had more in common than our Christianity when he said, "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me." Welcome to a celebration of faith, tea, and the written word. I'm always engaged in a book, and whether it's one I'm reading or one of the inspirational historical romances I write, there's always a cup of tea close by. Join me in a cup as we chat about faith, our favorite books and the exciting places our reading and writing adventures take us.

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Make a Palm Frond Cross

Every Palm Sunday, our church provides palm fronds for us to wave as we walk on a procession around the block. The procession gives us a wonderful feeling of "church family" and the palm fronds are a tangible reminder of Jesus' glorious entrance into Jerusalem.

But what do you do with the fronds when the service is over? The church keeps some (to burn into ashes for next year's Ash Wednesday service), but the rest go home and often end up in the trash.

Another idea? Make a palm cross.
Image:343824 6 bullet 2.jpg
Creative Commons Wikihow

Here's how:

Take a palm frond (a long, slender, "leaf") and hold it upright.

1) Fold the top down, away from you, and fold the bottom up, away from you, to form the shaft of a cross of desired length (about 4 inches or so).

2) Turn the end down and twist around to the right and across the front of the shaft to make a cross bar, proportional to the length of the cross.

3) Fold the end around, behind the shaft.

4) Bring the end from behind, under the center. Fold from the bottom right to the top left and under again from the bottom left to the top right (forming an X pattern).

5) Fasten the end through the back loops to hold the cross in place.
Image:Make a Palm Frond Cross Intro.jpg
Creative Commons Wikihow

Voila!

4 comments:

Jessica Snell said...

Oh, don't throw them away! Slip them behind any crosses you have hung in your home. They can stay there until Lent next year, when you can return them to church to be burned. :)

Susanne Dietze said...

Nice idea, Jessica. I like placing them with crosses. We also have some tucked away on shelves etc as little reminders of Holy Week throughout the year.

Thanks so much for coming by!

Karen Lange said...

I think I may have done this in Sunday School when I was young. That was a few years ago. :) Thanks for sharing this, Susie! Have a great week!

Susanne Dietze said...

Karen, I hope you have a great week, too. Holy Week is a precious time for me.

Thanks for visiting!