I knew that C.S. Lewis and I had more in common than our Christianity when he said, "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me." Welcome to a celebration of faith, tea, and the written word. I'm always engaged in a book, and whether it's one I'm reading or one of the inspirational historical romances I write, there's always a cup of tea close by. Join me in a cup as we chat about faith, our favorite books and the exciting places our reading and writing adventures take us.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Waiting for Spring

Amanda Cabot delivers another enjoyable historical romance with Waiting for Spring, set in the days before Wyoming became a state.

Waiting for Spring: A Novel (Westward Winds)Charlotte Harding Crowley and her blind infant, David, flee Laramie when her husband is murdered, and she opens a high-class clothing boutique for the ladies of Cheyenne. She hopes "The Baron," her husband's killer who thinks she knows where his treasure is hidden, won't be able to find her since she's using her maiden name, but she's still living in fear of gaining too much notice. One of her clients, Miriam, plans to be engaged to local politician Barrett Landry, who needs to make a good match if he's to run for senator of his soon-to-be state. He should marry Miriam, but he's drawn to Charlotte.

But the past has a way of coming back where it's least wanted. Barrett's plans crumble, and Charlotte may not be able to protect herself those she holds dear from danger. With God's help, can they triumph and find happiness together?

The identity of "The Baron" isn't difficult to figure out, but there still manages to be a bit of light suspense. I truly felt for Charlotte and her challenges. I also found Barrett likable.

Although this story is second in the Westward Winds series, it isn't necessary to have read the first novel, Summer of Promise. I hadn't read it, and I didn't feel at all lost.

*I received a complimentary copy of this book for my review by the publisher, Revell. A positive review was neither promised nor required.

No comments: