I knew that C.S. Lewis and I had more in common than our Christianity when he said, "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me." Welcome to a celebration of faith, tea, and the written word. I'm always engaged in a book, and whether it's one I'm reading or one of the inspirational historical romances I write, there's always a cup of tea close by. Join me in a cup as we chat about faith, our favorite books and the exciting places our reading and writing adventures take us.

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Colonial Courtships



Looking for a short, sweet read to escape from holiday stress? Try Colonial Courtships, a collection of four novellas by Laurie Alice Eakes, Carla Olson Gade, Lisa Karon Richardson and Amber Stockton.

Product DetailsPerfect for cozy reading, this book features four novellas, one each for the four Ingersoll brothers of colonial Connecticut. Nathaniel is a ship figurehead carver who risks his reputation for an indentured servant, Constance. Jonathan, a trader, is forced by a flood to seek shelter at an inn, but the young lady he meets there, Clara, comes with trouble. Micajah is a wounded soldier who longs for peace but finds himself protecting Sarah and her daughter. And the youngest brother, Alden, is impressed by the British Navy, but will he escape after falling in love with the captain’s niece, Phoebe?

The final story by Richardson was my favorite, and it tied up the collection nicely. The heroes and heroines of all four stories, however, are all likable and strong, and their tales of love and redemption are encouraging and entertaining. Not everyone loves novellas because they are shorter by nature and therefore can't go as deep as a trade paperback, but I find novellas to be relaxing--sometimes they provide just the break I need without tying me down to a lengthy story.

Fans of colonial-set Christian romance will enjoy this charming, cozy read.

No comments: