I knew that C.S. Lewis and I had more in common than our Christianity when he said, "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me." Welcome to a celebration of faith, tea, and the written word. I'm always engaged in a book, and whether it's one I'm reading or one of the inspirational historical romances I write, there's always a cup of tea close by. Join me in a cup as we chat about faith, our favorite books and the exciting places our reading and writing adventures take us.

Monday, June 4, 2012

Ten Things with Jennifer AlLee ... And a Giveaway!

Welcome Jennifer AlLee to Tea and a Good Book!

Jennifer is a fantastic writer and a gracious friend. She resides in the grace-filled city of Las Vegas with her husband and teenage son. She has written skits, activity pages, and over one hundred contributions to Concordia Publishing House's popular My Devotions series. Her novels include The Love of His Brother (Five Star, November 2007), The Pastor's Wife, (Abingdon Press, February 2010), The Mother Road (Abingdon Press, April 2012), and the upcoming A Wild Goose Chase Christmas, book two in the Quilts of Love series (Abingdon Press, November 2012). She's an active member of American Christian Fiction Writers and Romance Writers of America.

  1. I was born in Hollywood, California, and I lived there for the first 10 years of my life... above a mortuary one block east of Hollywood & Vine. Sadly, my childhood home has been torn down and replaced by a parking lot.
  2. My mother is a genius at stitchery, so at some point in my life I've tried to master all of the home arts... knitting, crocheting, needlepoint, cross stitch, sewing... I stink at all of them.
  3. I would love to live on a big ranch with horses, dogs, and assorted livestock... but only if I also had a staff of farmhands to take care of them all.
  4. My idea of "roughing it" means staying in a hotel where the TV remote doesn't work. No camping for this little gray duck :)
  5. I wrote and illustrated my first book in grade school. It was about two mice who had a run-in with a cat on Halloween night. Pretty sure it's still buried somewhere in my mom's garage.
  6. Another long-held dream of mine is to be a musical theatre performer. I'd be happy to be part of the chorus, singing and dancing in the background. I just love the energy of the theatre.
  7. In my November release, A Wild Goose Chase Christmas, the character of Grandma Isabella is patterned after my own grandmother, Marie Staats.
  8. I home schooled my son from 5th through 7th grades. During that time, we lived in California, so had annual passes to Disneyland. One of the best motivators around is to surprise your kid with a Disney day when he's doing well on his studies. Extra home school bonus... we were able to go when everyone else was in school. Super-short lines and tons of awesome memories!
  9. My current favorite after-dinner snack is toast with lemon curd. Mmmm...
  10. I have a big mental list of authors and other entertainment folk I'd love to meet in person, just to shake hands and let them know how much I enjoy what they do. The list includes: LaVyrle Spencer, Lois Duncan, Weird Al Yankovic, David Ogden Stiers, Betty White, Nathan Fillion, Amy Grant, Michael W. Smith, and Ewan MacGregor... although if I actually met Mr. MacGregor, I would probably melt into an incoherent puddle of drool... not a pleasant image!
Ooh, Jen, we have a lot in common...especially #4 and something in #10... Thanks for sharing your ten things with us today!


Jennifer has graciously offered a copy of The Mother Road to one lucky commenter. To enter, please leave a comment with your email addy (safely spaced out) so we can contact you!

Don't forget to visit her website at www.jenniferallee.com

4 comments:

Karen Lange said...

Thanks, ladies, for sharing this! I always enjoy hearing about other writers. It's inspiring and encouraging. :)

Thank you for offering the giveaway. The book sounds wonderful!

Happy weekend,
Karen
klange61AThotmailDOTcom

Susanne Dietze said...

Hey Karen! I love hearing about other authors' journeys, too. It's so encouraging.

Thanks so much for coming by. I've got you entered into the drawing.

Cheryl Klarich said...

What an interesting life!
One of my favorite things about homeschooling was the short lines, too... :)

Bless you!

Susanne Dietze said...

Hi Cheryl! Yes, Jen, has had a very interesting life. And she's a great writer, too!

I'll enter you into the drawing. Thanks for visiting!