I knew that C.S. Lewis and I had more in common than our Christianity when he said, "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me." Welcome to a celebration of faith, tea, and the written word. I'm always engaged in a book, and whether it's one I'm reading or one of the inspirational historical romances I write, there's always a cup of tea close by. Join me in a cup as we chat about faith, our favorite books and the exciting places our reading and writing adventures take us.

Monday, June 11, 2012

Lost Month

Panic isn't the right word. Neither is freaking out. But I do feel a bit of stress.

I am trying to finish my current manuscript before the RWA Conference next month. And (eep!) not all of it is written yet.

I'm a slow writer. Some of my friends can sit down and type 5000+ words a day. Not me. Even if I didn't have kids, carpooling, some extended family issues, and those pesky meals to prepare, I am not sure I could accomplish that. A few times, I've broken the 3000 word per day barrier, but those were banner occasions.

My plan was to be finished with the first draft before June. Then I could spend June polishing and I'd be relaxed going into Conference.

May was already a busy month. Kids' concerts, plays, honor roll banquets, academic assemblies, etc etc. But then my mother-in-law was diagnosed with cancer and passed away very quickly. In our house, May was a lost month. A month of losses. Loss of a loved one, loss of our grip on the outside world, loss of sleep, loss of joy. We rejoice that my m-i-l is with the Lord, and we rejoice that we do not grieve like those who have no hope.

But still we grieve.

Meanwhile, I've got RWA coming up. So right now, I'm doing a few things all at once. Plowing through a rough draft. Getting chapters critiqued. Polishing. Thinking about business cards and one-sheets and what to wear at conference and all that stuff.

I've learned a few things about myself. I'm a terrible writer. My editing is better.

Also, writing is a job. I have to sit in this chair and, for lack of a better term, git er done. Nobody can do it but me. If I want this, I need to commit to it. Even if I'd rather be outside with a book.

So that's where I am these days. Here in the chair, with occasional stretches and something cooking in the crock pot.

Any prayers for creativity, drive, and patience are appreciated!

***

Congratulations to Karen, who won a copy of Jennifer AlLee's The Mother Road! Karen, I've sent your info to Jen. Enjoy the book!

2 comments:

Karen Lange said...

So sorry to hear about your mother in law. I'll be praying for you and your family, and praying for your energy and creativity.

Thanks to you and Jennifer for doing the giveaway. Seeing that I won is a very nice Monday surprise! :)

Thanks and blessings,
Karen

Susanne Dietze said...

Karen, happy surprises are fabulous, aren't they?

Thanks for your kind words--and your prayers. I appreciate them.

Blessings!