I knew that C.S. Lewis and I had more in common than our Christianity when he said, "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me." Welcome to a celebration of faith, tea, and the written word. I'm always engaged in a book, and whether it's one I'm reading or one of the inspirational historical romances I write, there's always a cup of tea close by. Join me in a cup as we chat about faith, our favorite books and the exciting places our reading and writing adventures take us.

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Ten Things...With Author Barbara Early

Welcome Barbara Early, author of Gold, Frankincense, and Murder, to Tea and a Good Book!

Barbara Early grew up buried in the snowy suburbs of Buffalo, NY, where she developed a love for all things sedentary: reading, writing, classic movies, and Scrabble. She holds a degree in Electrical Engineering, but her penchant for the creative caused her to run away screaming from the pocket-protector set. She taught secondary English and science for several years in a Christian school before home schooling her daughter successfully through high school. Barbara cooks up cozy mysteries with a healthy dose of comedy and sometimes a splash of romance, and was a double finalist in the 2010 ACFW Genesis competition. When not reading or writing, she enjoys cooking, crafts, home-improvement projects, and spending time with her husband and daughter.


 1. When I was little, I bore an uncanny resemblance to Shirley Temple.

2. I never button my coat or wear a scarf.

3. I have a degree in electrical engineering that I never used. 

4. I homeschooled my daughter from third grade all the way through high school.

5. My TV crushes are/were Simon Templer, Spock, Remington Steele, and Monk.

6. My beverage of choice is a 50/50 mix of cranberry juice and ginger ale.

7. As a teen, I accidentally sneezed soup out my nose at a missionary.

8. I clean my house while wearing my pajamas.

9. When I was a child I asked for a cat. They told me I could have a pet tree instead. I fell for it. My pet maple lived to be about 15 before it got some spotted disease and had to be cut down. I cried. I still get attached to trees.

10. I sleep best when the temperature in the room is below sixty degrees.


Here's a peek at Barbara's book,Gold, Frankincense, and Murder:

High school geometry teacher, Donna Russell likes her life well-ordered and logical, even if it is a tad solitary at times. But when a charming co-worker at the local food bank disappears just before Christmas, Donna is left with more questions than solutions.


After the missing man's neighbor, muscle-bound EMT Sam Holton, volunteers as Donna's crime-fighting sidekick, sparks fly between them. Donna wonders if Sam can be trusted, or if he's trying to throw an unknown into her calculations—and her life.


And when police recover a body from the icy Niagara River, Donna is faced with the most frustrating equation of all: can murder plus mayhem ever equal romance?

To learn more about Barbara or get a copy of her book, check out these links:


purchase link: http://www.pelicanbookgroup.com/ec/gold-frankincense-and-murder

Thanks for visiting us, Barbara! I'm looking forward to losing myself in this mystery this Christmas!

4 comments:

Barbara Early said...

Susanne--

Thanks so much for having me today. I was drinking coffee, but I think I'll switch to tea now in honor of your blog.

Susanne Dietze said...

Barbara, I'm so glad you could be here today. I loved getting to know you better, and your story is so much fun!

Psst--I'm drinking coffee right now. Decaf. White Russian flavored.

Debra E. Marvin said...

Oooh, I hope that wasn't a chunky soup.

Barbara Early said...

I don't recall, Deb, much about the soup--only the mortification that followed. It was one of those luncheon things, where everyone is packed in like sardines.