I knew that C.S. Lewis and I had more in common than our Christianity when he said, "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me." Welcome to a celebration of faith, tea, and the written word. I'm always engaged in a book, and whether it's one I'm reading or one of the inspirational historical romances I write, there's always a cup of tea close by. Join me in a cup as we chat about faith, our favorite books and the exciting places our reading and writing adventures take us.

Saturday, December 10, 2011

A Few of My Favorite Things: Ornament Edition

Don't you just love Christmas trees? Each is as unique as the decorator, revealing the tastes and joys, pasts and presents of the family who hung each ornament. We have a lot of ornaments at our house -- more than we need -- but each one represents something, a memory of the moment it was made or received, whether it's a kindergarten creation or a souvenir from a vacation, and I can't bear to part with a single one of them. One of my favorite days of the year is when all of the boxes come out and we unpack the treasures for our tree.

Some of my friends have themed trees. Red White and Blue God Bless America Trees; Gingerbread Trees; Star Trek (yes! you know who you are!); Feathers and Fur. My theme, I suppose, is "anything goes." But I do have a special collection of ornaments, and I'm sure you won't be surprised to learn they are teapots and teacups. I thought I'd share just a few of them with you.

Like all of our other ornaments, each is a memory. I purchased this one myself from a tea shop one November. My friend Laura and I had a wonderful afternoon that day, enjoying scones and fragrant Buccaneer tea -- a delicious blend of coconut and rooibos and I'm not sure what else, but it's divine. I'm a sucker for red toille, so I couldn't pass this up:



The newest in my collection came from my friend Susan. She sent it to me last year for Christmas with instructions to open the package early and hang it on the tree. I love the shade of blue and the wintry feel of this teacup!



This last photo shows two more. One is a pink teapot, which reminds me a bit of a favorite (human-sized) teacup I have, an Old Country Roses pattern laid over pale pink. It also came from a tea shop. The Christmas pattern teacup came from my friend Jill, the last Christmas I lived in the same town as her before I moved away. There's a pot to match this one, too. I love the Victorian collage-look of it.


There's a peek at a few of my favorite ornaments! What about you? What are some of the treasured ornaments gracing your tree?

No comments: