I knew that C.S. Lewis and I had more in common than our Christianity when he said, "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me." Welcome to a celebration of faith, tea, and the written word. I'm always engaged in a book, and whether it's one I'm reading or one of the inspirational historical romances I write, there's always a cup of tea close by. Join me in a cup as we chat about faith, our favorite books and the exciting places our reading and writing adventures take us.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Ten Things...With Author Dina Sleiman

Welcome Dina Sleiman to Tea and a Good Book!
I'm blessed to call Dina--a woman of faith and prayer, a fellow contributor to Inkwell Inspirations, and one smart cookie--a friend. This month her very first novel, Dance of the Dandelion, released from WhiteFire Press. Set in medieval Europe, it's received rave reviews!
 
Ten Things about Dina:


1) My favorite music is heavy metal and alternative. I’m a regular head banger.

2) I’ve been leading worship dance ministries for the better part of eighteen years.

3) No, my daughter on the cover of my novel is not the result of a teenage pregnancy. I’m actually 41 years old and had her after grad school.

4) My first creative writing project that I remember was a story about a scientifically researched alien from Venus who came to visit a little girl on Earth.

5) I love poetry and try to find sneaky ways to weave it into everything I write.

6) For most of my childhood I attended a “Jesus Movement” type hippy church. I think that explains a lot about me.

7) I was captain of the cheerleading squad in high school and valedictorian of my class. But don’t be too impressed (or annoyed) since there were only 10 people in my grade at my small Christian school.

8) I have two adorable little dogs. One malti-poo and one malti-shi. And I’m not above dressing them in cutsie outfits when they’ll let me.

9) My husband is Lebanese. I actually got caught in a war in Lebanon in 2006, and our family had to be evacuated on a U.S. naval ship.

10) I love the beach. It’s a twenty-five minute drive from my house, but I try to get there once a week when the weather’s nice. I adore the outdoors in general and do a lot of hiking and biking.

More about Dina:

Dina writes lyrical stories that dance with light. Most of the time you will find this Virginia Beach resident reading, biking, dancing, or hanging out with her husband and three children, preferably at the oceanfront. Since finishing her Professional Writing MA in 1994, she has enjoyed many opportunities to teach literature, writing, and the arts. She was the Overall Winner in the 2009 Touched by Love contest for unpublished authors.

Her debut novel, Dance of the Dandelion with Whitefire Publishing, is now available at amazon and other online and ebook distributors. Dina is represented by Tamela Hancock Murray of The Steve Laube Agency. She has recently become an acquisitions editor for WhiteFire as well. Join her as she discovers the unforced rhythms of grace. For more info visit her at http://dinasleiman.com/

Here's a peek at Dance of the Dandelion:

Love's quest leads her the world over.

Dandelion Dering was born a peasant in the English village of Arun, but her soul yearned for another life, another world. One filled with color and music, with adventure and passion  . . . with more. Haunted by childhood memories, Dandelion determines to find a better existence than the life every peasant in the village contents themselves with. Even if her sweetheart William’s predictions prove true, and her journey leads straight to heartache.

From her sleepy hamlet to the intrigue of castle life, from the heart of London to the adventurous seas, Dandelion flees from the mistakes of her past, always seeking that something, that someone who will satisfy her longings.

Will Dandelion ever find the rhythm to her life's dance . . . or did she leave her chance for true love at home in Arun village?

 Check back for my recommendation of Dina's book soon! (And yes, that really is Dina's daughter on the cover!)

12 comments:

Susanne Dietze said...

I've been told that it's impossible to comment on today's post. Hmm. I'll check into it. Thanks for your patience!

Debra E. Marvin said...

I'm giving it a try...
thanks for 10 things about Dina. I didn't know about the dogs. I have a yorkie maltese. Dina, do you know the compound term for that mix? Yorktese, Malkie?

Susanne Dietze said...

Yay Deb, it worked! Thanks for coming by.

I love that Dina's first story involved an alien and a little girl. This makes me wonder what my first story was about...I honestly can't remember.

Dina Sleiman said...

Deb, I don't think I've heard a name for that mix. Hmmm...I'm leaning toward Yorktese. Either way I'm sure it's cute.

Dina Sleiman said...

Thanks for having me Susanne :)

Suzie Johnson said...

Whoo hoo! I learned something new about Dina! Sorry I'm so late to the party - I had one too many technical difficulties.

Dina, my sister is a head-banger, too. She's been recovering all day from a Thin Lizzy concert.

What do a maltie-poo and a maltie-shi look like?

Thanks for sharing the fun list, Susie.

Suzie Johnson said...

Oh, Susie, I meant to tell you I love the Tang Dynasty quote.

Dina Sleiman said...

The dogs actually look very similar and people think they're the same type. Both tiny, fluffy, and white. One has black spots and the other has blonde spots.

Susanne Dietze said...

Dina, thanks for sharing your ten things with us. :)

Susanne Dietze said...

Hi Suzie! I wonder if blogger had some issues...I'm glad you could come back and leave a comment.

I love that quote, too! It reminds me that regardless of circumstance, friendship is powerful.

There's always a cup at my table for you, Suzie. :)

Suzie Johnson said...

Thank you, Susie, I think I'll just hop on the train and come on down for a cup of Earl Gray. :)

Susanne Dietze said...

Head on down! I've got coffee cake! :)