I knew that C.S. Lewis and I had more in common than our Christianity when he said, "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me." Welcome to a celebration of faith, tea, and the written word. I'm always engaged in a book, and whether it's one I'm reading or one of the inspirational historical romances I write, there's always a cup of tea close by. Join me in a cup as we chat about faith, our favorite books and the exciting places our reading and writing adventures take us.

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Bugs and Brains--It's Halloween Supper!

Do you have a special menu for Halloween? Something quick and easy to eat before trick-or-treating?

In the past, we've had Sand-witches, Chili-willie, and monster-eye pizza. But a few years ago, we tried Bugs and Brains, and the menu has stuck. In fact, Kid #1 has repeatedly requested Brains for dinner, even when it's not Halloween.

Amazing, since its main ingredient is cauliflower.

The Bugs--twice-baked potatoes with shrimp "legs"--are fun and easy to adapt to your family's individual preferences. I make the standard twice-baked potatoes with cheddar and sour cream, and then my kids make them look (and taste) just how they want them to, with olive-slice or ham-cube eyes, carrot-stick antennae, bacon spots, etc.

The Brains portion of the meal proved an excellent way to get my kids to eat cauliflower. You can easily cut the recipe in half (as I do) or adapt it to use frozen cauliflower.

If you're looking for a spooky dinner--or you just want a basic cauliflower casserole--here's my recipe for Halloween Brains.

"Brains" Casserole

8 c. cauliflower florets
4 large eggs
1 c. cottage cheese
1 c. milk
1 c. grated parmesan cheese
1 c. shredded Swiss cheese
dash cayenne pepper
1/2 c. bread crumbs

Steam cook the cauliflower until tender, about ten minutes. Drain and set aside.

While the cauliflower cools, beat eggs in a large bowl. Then add the cottage cheese, milk, cheeses, and cayenne pepper. Stir in the cauliflower.

Transfer to a greased baking dish and sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake at 375 for 25 minutes, or until bubbly and browned.

Voila! Creamy, delicious brains for your little zombies.

4 comments:

Jessica Nelson said...

Oh, my, I've never even thought of doing that. Thanks so much for the recipe! Cauliflower usually makes me want to gag but that recipe sounds delish!

Suzie Johnson said...

LOL. This is super funny, Susie. Could you post a picture next week? Please? I'm not going to eat it, cuz I'm not too fond of cottage cheese, but I'd sure like to see a pic.

Susanne Dietze said...

Hi Jessica! If cauliflower's not your thing, I don't know if you want to give it a shot or not...but then again, cheese makes everything better. :)

Thanks for coming by. When is your book's release?

Susanne Dietze said...

Sure, Suzie! Our Bugs don't look professional, but we like them anyway. I promise I'll never cook Brains for you. :)

Thanks for visiting!