I knew that C.S. Lewis and I had more in common than our Christianity when he said, "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me." Welcome to a celebration of faith, tea, and the written word. I'm always engaged in a book, and whether it's one I'm reading or one of the inspirational historical romances I write, there's always a cup of tea close by. Join me in a cup as we chat about faith, our favorite books and the exciting places our reading and writing adventures take us.

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Ten Things...with Author Anne Mateer

Anne Mateer is a three-time Genesis Contest finalist who has long had a passion for history and historical fiction. She and her husband live near Dallas, Texas, and are the parents of three young adults. Her first novel, Wings of a Dream, is a new release from Bethany House.

And she's agreed to share Ten Things about herself with us. Welcome, Anne!


1.  My number one dislike in life is cooking. Which is tied with housecleaning. (Yup. I’m not domestic. At. All.)
2.  I attended three different colleges and still managed to graduate in four years. (Now that I have kids in college, this has become quite amazing to me!)
3.  For over 8 years, I have attended a weekly critique group with the same two writers, Mary DeMuth and Leslie Wilson. We started as all unpublished writers. Now, with this book, we are all published.
4.  Most of my life was spent wagging around the chains of fear and insecurity. The Lord used some very intense years with an uber strong-willed child, a workaholic husband, and involvement in a retreat called Tres Dias to convince me of His abundant love for me— not just for everyone else. His word to me in those years—”I love you too much to let you remain the same as you are now”— has proven true time and time again. Freedom is such an amazing grace.
5.  I studied acting during my awkward middle school years. (This will not surprise those of you who were at the opening session of the 2007 ACFW Conference. You’ve seen my dramatic side.)
6.  Winter is my favorite season. I adore curling up with coffee (sorry, Susie!) and good book in front of a blazing fire.
7.  My husband and I dream of visiting Scotland one day.
8.  I’d love to live in a house that is at least 100 years old. Pre-1900 would be even better. But I don’t want to restore it myself. Neither my husband nor I are handy; we just love history.
9.  My favorite social media is twitter. Don’t know why. I just like it.
10.          The idea for Wings of a Dream came to me in early 2000, but I didn’t actually write the book until 2009. 

Rebekah Hendricks dreams of a life far beyond her family's farm in Oklahoma, and when dashing aviator Arthur Samson promised adventure in the big city, she is quick to believe he's the man she's meant to marry. While she waits for the Great War to end and Arthur to return to her so they can pursue all their plans, her mother's sister falls ill. Rebekah seizes the opportunity to travel to Texas to care for Aunt Adabelle, seeing this chance to be closer to Arthur's training camp as God's approval of her plans.

But the Spanish flue epidemic changes everything. Faced with her aunt's death, Arthur's indecisiveness, and four children who have no one else to care for them, Rebeka is torn between the desire to escape the type of life she's always led and the unexpected love that just might change the dream of her heart. 

You can visit Anne on her blogsite. Wings of a Dream is available now from your favorite Christian retailer and Amazon. Come back soon to read what I think about Anne's book! And if you have any questions for Anne, please leave them in a comment. She'll be by later!

11 comments:

Richard Mabry said...

Thanks for letting (forcing) Anne to share these things about herself. Her book, by the way, is terrific. That didn't surprise me, because I've known how talented she is since we were in a class together at Mount Hermon Conference.

Anne Mateer said...

You always have such wonderful words to say, Richard. But then again, you are a wonderful writer! :)

Jessica Nelson said...

Woot on all three of you being pubbed! And 3 times finaling in the GH is wonderful! Congrats. I hope to read your book someday, Anne.
Thanks for the great interview Susanne!

Anne Mateer said...

Thanks, Jessica!

Susanne Dietze said...

Hi Richard--so glad you could stop by! What sorts of stories do you write?

I'm delighted to have Anne here. Her novel is fabulous, and so well-crafted. I thoroughly recommend it.

Susanne Dietze said...

Hi Jessica! It won't be long before your book is in our hands, woot! When will it be released?

So glad you could come by.

Susanne Dietze said...

Anne, I learned a lot from your list. I'd love to visit Scotland, too. What are some of your reasons for wanting to go? Genealogy, castles...?

We are interested in Celtic Christianity and church history, so we'd love to visit Iona, an island in the Hebrides. It held a monastery and it was long said to be a holy place with a "thin veil" between earth and heaven.

And then there are the castles, and heather, and so forth. No interest in the haggis, however. :)

Anne Mateer said...

Scotland is on the list partly because of ancestry (my husband's), partly because of Alexander McCall Smith books set in Edinburgh, party because of the Monarch of the Glen series, and of course because of castles! I'm with you on no haggis. It would also include a sweep through Northern England, Yorkshire to be specific. (That due to the All Creatures Great and Small books and tv series!)

Richard writes medical suspense for Abingdon Press.

Jessica, tell me about your book, too!

Jeanette Levellie said...

Congrats on your debut novel. It always encourages me when people take awhile to write a book and have it published. I have no use for people who do things too easy ;)!

Susanne Dietze said...

Anne, how fun! I've never seen the All Creatures Great and Small series. Guess I'd better check that out.

And let's enjoy some nice, virtual Scotch scones instead of Haggis. ;-)

Susanne Dietze said...

Anne's tremendous effort on this novel has truly paid off. It's wonderful, and her story is so encouraging. I hope you'll enjoy it, Jeannette! Thanks for coming by.