I knew that C.S. Lewis and I had more in common than our Christianity when he said, "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me." Welcome to a celebration of faith, tea, and the written word. I'm always engaged in a book, and whether it's one I'm reading or one of the inspirational historical romances I write, there's always a cup of tea close by. Join me in a cup as we chat about faith, our favorite books and the exciting places our reading and writing adventures take us.

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Sea is for Cookie (and That's Good Enough for Me!)

When I read about a little red-barn of a cookie shop in Cayucos, a California coastal village of about 3,000 souls, I had two thoughts. One, I was going to be passing through Cayucos with my family this summer and should stop by, because, well, come on. It's cookies.

And two, the little shortbread gems available at The Brown Butter Cookie Company would undoubtedly go well indeed with a good book and a nice cup of tea. Which, from the name of this blog, you know I like.

I did not expect to write an entire blog post about the Best Cookies Ever. But it would be ungenerous--nay, criminal!--to not tell you about them. They're the sort of cookie that makes professional wrestlers weep and inspires astonishingly good behavior from children and all that sort of stuff.

Ok, maybe I exaggerate slightly. But The Brown Butter Cookie Company (click here to visit their website) makes one fabulous cookie, all soft and rich with brown sugar and browned butter, sprinkled on top with a dash of sea salt.

This is not a place to hang out and visit. No Starbucks-wanna-be, The Brown Butter Cookie Co. is nothing but cookies. Inside the shop, most of the space is devoted to crafting and baking. A small front area lined with shelves of packaged cookies and partitioned by a bakery counter was just large enough for me and my family to enter, browse, and turn around before squeezing through the throng of other wise cookie devotees who also crammed the space. The word is OUT about these cookies.

Behind the counter, a half-dozen women perched on stools, patting cookies in their hands and laying them on sheets for baking. (They also looked quite happy, probably because they know the secret ingredients of the cookies. Luckies!) In the background, an industrial mixer whirred the magical secret ingredients.

One young woman offered us samples. Our first taste was the original, a shortbread-esque cookie. One quarter of a cookie. A little nibble.

That was enough. I was sold.

We also tried cocoa and gluten-free cocoa mint cookies (which were sensational), but settled on purchasing a 2-dozen count package of the original. Just one package, you may ask, after all of this hoopla? Well, the cookies don't come cheap. Individually, they sell for a dollar each, plus. And you can't just stop at one cookie.

I predict it won't be long before this little cookie shop gains national attention.

So if you find yourself on California's central coast anytime soon, plan to swing by Cayucos. And let me know in advance, so I can have you pick up a bag of cookies for me!

To see how they make the cookies, check out this little video I found on YouTube.



2 comments:

Anne Mateer said...

My mouth is watering! Love me a good cookie! Now I just have to figure out a quick trip to California . . .

Susanne Dietze said...

Hi Anne! I wish I could send you some. Maybe when we meet up at a conference I'll order some for my suitcase. We can bond over a dozen.

I'm so glad you came by! How much longer until your book comes out?